ECB Youth Dialogue: #AskDraghi
We are holding our third Youth Dialogue, this time in partnership with Debating Europe – an online platform where young people can discuss current issues with Europe’s leaders.
From 17 to 23 January 2018, we asked you to send questions for President Draghi, via Twitter and Facebook, on any of the following topics:
- Europe’s economic recovery and youth unemployment
- cryptocurrencies and blockchain
- possibility of a new global economic crisis
Watch his answers to the five selected questions and then join the debate by leaving a comment either on social media or on Debating Europe’s website!
Europe’s economic recovery and youth unemployment
President Draghi confirms that the European economy has been continuously expanding for several years now and employment is higher than ever, but we have to continue improving and make sure everyone benefits.
Blockchain and cryptocurrencies
Blockchain is an innovative technology that could improve efficiency. We are assessing whether it could be used in our own services in the future. Concerning bitcoin and whether you should trust it, President Draghi advises caution, as it is not backed by any central bank or government, adding that it is not the ECB’s job to regulate it.
Global economic crisis
The last crisis was severe, but the worst of it is behind us. European countries entered the crisis with major weaknesses and were not able to react adequately. Today, significant progress has been made in many areas, making us better equipped for the future.
Do you think the EU and ECB will be able to reform enough to be able to cope with yet another big economic crisis, before the next crisis happens?Christiaan, Netherlands
Find out more
Do you want to know more about the topics of this ECB Youth Dialogue? Take a look at the following pages!
- Economic recovery and the new phase of monetary policy (Speech by Vítor Constâncio, Vice-President of the ECB, at the Opening Conference of the 20th Euro Finance Week, Frankfurt am Main, 13 November 2017)
- Sustaining openness in a dynamic global economy (Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB, at the Economic Policy Symposium of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Jackson Hole, 25 August 2017)
- Virtual or virtueless? The evolution of money in the digital age (Lecture by Yves Mersch, Member of the Executive Board of the ECB, Official Monetary and Financial Institutions Forum, London, 8 February 2018)
- How could new technology transform financial markets? (ECB Explainer)
- Bitcoin, money of the future? (Winning video from the Euro Video Challenge 2017, produced by Jason Halbgewachs and Michiel van Aarnhem)
- Youth unemployment in the euro area (Keynote speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB, for the Henry Grattan Lecture Series at Trinity College, Dublin, 22 September 2017)
- Accompanying the economic recovery (Speech by Mario Draghi, President of the ECB, at the ECB Forum on Central Banking, Sintra, 27 June 2017)
President Mario Draghi met with young Europeans on Friday, 22 September 2017, at Trinity College Dublin.
The event was organised in partnership with the Central Bank of Ireland and Trinity College Dublin.
Will blockchain have a role in the future? Is the potential for house price bubbles a growing concern for the Governing Council? To what extent is forward guidance and clear communication seen as a key component of modern central banks?
Watch the exchange of questions and answers on these and other topics between President Draghi and economics students from Trinity College Dublin.
President Mario Draghi hosted the ECB’s first Youth Dialogue in Lisbon.
It was organised in partnership with Banco de Portugal and ISEG – Lisbon School of Economics and Management.
Explore the discussion about the meaning of innovation and productivity for young people.